This root vegetable from of the Andes was considered a gift from the Gods by the Incas. Today science confirms the great properties of maca and its benefits to our health.
Maca is an annual herbaceous plant that grows in the Andes from 2,000 to 5,000 meters of altitude. Its root is very similar to that of the turnip, fleshy and rich in nutritional properties. In fact, since ancient times, maca represented a central food in the culture of pre-Columbian civilizations.
This small plant develops roots that accumulate in the soil, absorbing all the nutrients from the uncontaminated terrain of the mountains of Peru and Bolivia. Maca can withstand incredible temperature ranges and strong winds, and is one of the few plants capable of adapting to those climates.
Its resistance to the elements is due to its biochemical composition, which at the same time, makes it particularly nutritious for people. In fact, for thousands of years, maca has been used as a tonic for the body and its organs. But maca’s fame has always been attributed to its powerful aphrodisiac protperties. Find out the truth about maca and its unique properties…
Benefits of Maca
Maca is a complete food. It contains all the nutritional elements essential for our body, and for this it can be used as a tonic and natural food supplement. The properties of maca are:
- Rich in proteins and essential amino acids
- Source of fibre
- Rich in complex carbohydrates
- Particularly rich in vitamin C
- Contains vitamins A, B
- Source of calcium, iron, potassium, manganese, copper and zinc
Maca is good for your health: 10 reasons to eat it daily
- Maca helps to improve libido and sexual function. The belief of the Incas is confirmed by some scientific studies, among them this research from 2002.
- Improves sports performance and increases energy. Maca is a tonic, capable of replenishing precious nutrients in the body. According to a study, it’s able to improve athletic performance and energy availability over the long term.
- Maca is rich in antioxidant polyphenols and glucosinolates, which can help to protect us from cancer cells, inhibiting their growth.
- Protects our skin naturally from dangerous UV rays.
- Prolonged use of maca protects our brain.
- Maca may improve learning and memory. There are many animal studies that confirm these results.
- Eating maca every day can help to lower blood pressure.
- Can reduce and fight the symptoms of menopause.
- Can increase and improve fertility in both men and women.
- Maca can fight osteoporosis in women.
These ten good reasons are enough to show that consuming maca every day is a wise decision! Additionally, there are countless scientific studies surrounding the benefits of this incredible root vegetable, and every year new research is published with surprising results.
But one of the best reasons to consume maca in our opinion is that it is very tasty and versatile too. Maca is good for our health and makes us feel good. That is why we have created our range of delicious healthy hot chocolates called ‘Macaccino’. There are three different blends available to choose from, each one using organic maca to create a delicious and nutritious hot chocolate style drink.
Macaccinos are a great alternative to coffee, but can also be used as an ingredient for desserts and in porridge too. These powdered, instant mixes can be prepared in just 1 minute with the addition of hot water, milk or milk alternative.
Macaccino is a mixture of maca, cocao powder, and coconut sugar, and is a healthy and nurturing alternative to coffee. Perfect for your moments of relaxation and at the same time a dose of energy for you to drink at breakfast time.
Macaccino Sensual adds a spicy touch to the original Macaccino recipe. Ginger, Cardamom, Cinnamon and Cayenne Pepper make this aphrodisiac drink even more sensual!
Macaccino Dark is perfect for those who want a completely caffeine-free coffee substitute, without the addition of sugar. Carobs, maca, lucuma and cinnamon come together in this sweet and nurturing, antioxidant energy drink.